Old 05-05-2013, 08:20 PM posted to rec.gardens
Gus[_2_] Gus[_2_] is offline

Default squirrels stealing tomatoes

"Natural Girl" wrote in message

hahaaahaha I'm only laughing because I totally understand just how
frustrating those tree rats can be. One year I had some gorgeous tomatoes
that were nearly ready to pick. I told myself I'd pick them tomorrow...
when I went out to get the ... EVERY tomato was gone on that bush!!!!!!!!
I was livid. Now, I don't wait to pull them!
--
Natural Girl

When I had the serious problem two years ago, I started started to pull
green ones, but they aren't as fun to pick. And then you have to wait for
them to ripen indoors, just sitting there. The squirrels starting biting
and taking the green ones on the plants, even small ones. They don't have
much sense. Or, maybe they are just very vindictive jerks. They may look
cute, but they are not good neighbors. I had a couple get into part of my
roof last year and had to get an exterminator. Cost a couple hundred
dollars to eradicate them.