Old 05-05-2013, 03:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_10_] Sacha[_10_] is offline

Default Bee deterrent?

On 2013-05-05 15:34:51 +0100, Dave Liquorice said:

On Sun, 5 May 2013 15:05:46 +0100, Sacha wrote:

The children could - and should in any case - be taught to wear shoes
when running round the garden ...

Aye, I expect they will be jabbed up against Tetantus but Cellulitis is
not very pleasant(*) and can be life threatening.

... and to be calm when walking through the 'bee area'. Standing in
front of the bees' homes and flapping arms about etc. is asking for
trouble whether they're in a wall or a hive.

Aye.

(*) Understatement. It is flaming agony, I dread to think how a child
would react to the constant worst pins and needles you can imagine.

I've had it twice and been hospitalised so they can intravenously shove
in, every 4 hours (and I mean every fours hours, even through the night)
high enough doses of antibiotics. 1 g of penicillin I remember but there
were similar quantities of others, flucloxacillin being one of them.
"Normal" doses are around the is 250 mg 4 times/day (6 hour) level.

I'm very allergic, so I'm not unsympathetic. But the first 'rule' for
children really should be not to run about in bare feet, especially on
a lawn with clover in it, or indeed, any flowers. And being calm around
the bees is important. I swell up like a zeppelin if stung and have
been warned not to get stung again. It hasn't been an ambition of mine
to try it out!!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com