Old 05-05-2013, 06:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David Hill David Hill is offline

Default Bee deterrent?

On 05/05/2013 15:34, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sun, 5 May 2013 15:05:46 +0100, Sacha wrote:

The children could - and should in any case - be taught to wear shoes
when running round the garden ...

Aye, I expect they will be jabbed up against Tetantus but Cellulitis is
not very pleasant(*) and can be life threatening.

... and to be calm when walking through the 'bee area'. Standing in
front of the bees' homes and flapping arms about etc. is asking for
trouble whether they're in a wall or a hive.

Aye.

(*) Understatement. It is flaming agony, I dread to think how a child
would react to the constant worst pins and needles you can imagine.

I've had it twice and been hospitalised so they can intravenously shove
in, every 4 hours (and I mean every fours hours, even through the night)
high enough doses of antibiotics. 1 g of penicillin I remember but there
were similar quantities of others, flucloxacillin being one of them.
"Normal" doses are around the is 250 mg 4 times/day (6 hour) level.

Strange using anti Biotics for stings, it's usually Anti histamine and
adrenalin that they use.
I was hypersensitive to Wasps and underwent 2 prolonged de sensitisation
treatments, the last one lasted 32 weeks and was whole venom extract,
but it worked.
Aas for bees, I once rotovated close to 6 hives with a tractor
rotovator, they didn't like it, I had over 40 stings removed from my
head, that afternoon, next day I was back in work deeling a bit delacate.
Had that been wasps I would not have been here to write this, the
adrenalinI carried wouldn't have coped with that sort of dose.
David @ a now sunny end of Swansea Bay.