Old 06-05-2013, 01:47 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Billy[_10_] Billy[_10_] is offline

Default the bird parade

In article ,
Billy wrote:

We mostly have Stellar Jays, and Chickadees here on the edge of the
redwoods. The closest we have to a year round songbird is the Pileated
Woodpecker. At least the Pileated Woodpecker sounds exotic. Some call
the Stellar Jay a songbird, but not to my ears.In the spring, we do get
some songbirds as they migrate to where ever it is that they are going.
Our best are the Western Kingbird, American Robin, Vesper Sparrow. The
forests in Europe are full of song birds, but we're lucky to get a few
chirps out of the Chicadees for most of the year. Maybe if we gave them
bird houses, with a yearly cleanings, as they do in the Blackforest, we
would have more songbirds.

If we go out, into the pasture lands, there are the occasional meadow
larks, who always please. Where ever there is standing, or slow moving
water, you'll find ducks, Pelicans, and Egrets. Where ever you find
ducks, you'll find Coots aka Mud-hens. At night, if you're lucky, there
are barn owls, which are guaranteed to scare the poo right out of you.
They are big birds with big bills, and big claws. This time of year we
also get slimed by those beautiful Canadian Geese, as they wander back
home.

In the non-songbird category we have either the Rufous, or
Black-chinned Hummingbird (or both), and the Ruby-throated Hummingbird.
The Hummingbirds are here pretty much year round. Last night I thought
we were being attacked by a giant bumble bee as we ate outside, but it
was just a hummingbird working the Chinese lanterns, one last time
before dark.

You can add Black-headed Grosbeak to my list. A pair have moved into our
hedge.
http://www.enature.com/fieldguides/d...id=&searchText
=&allSpecies=y&shapeID=0&lshapeID=0&curAbbr=&lastV iew=default&lastGroup=1
&lastRegion=1045&lastFilter=4&lastShapeName=&track Type=&curRegionID=1045&
size=&habitat=&fruit=&color=&sortBy=family&curFami lyID=204&regionSelect=9
5436&regionZIP=95436&curGroupID=1&lgfromWhere=&cur PageNum=2

--
Remember Rachel Corrie
http://www.rachelcorrie.org/

Welcome to the New America.