Old 07-05-2013, 03:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Martin Brown Martin Brown is offline

Default Green and blackfly, already.

On 07/05/2013 13:23, Baz wrote:
How annoying. On young shoots of all my fruit trees.
So many jobs to do.

The reason for that is that you have fed the trees with too much
nitrogen and the new growth is too soft lush and attractive to aphids.
High potash and phosphate fertiliser is best for young fruit trees.

Filling up the sprayer now. Liquid soap aka Fairy liquid. That should do
the trick? Hope so.

Baz

It will after a fashion. But you probably wanted soft soap!

Ladybirds, bluetits and similar small birds would make short work of
them if you encouraged them into your plot. I have a tame robin that
follows me around the garden pinching worms from under my nose.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown