Old 07-05-2013, 05:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Martin Brown Martin Brown is offline

Default To ivy or not to ivy, that's the question?

On 07/05/2013 16:46, Emery Davis wrote:
On Tue, 07 May 2013 11:08:03 +0100, Martin Brown wrote:

Hydrangea petiolaris is a more benign climber with much nicer flowers.
I do allow ivy to grow in my garden for wildlife but not on the house.

Can you grow H. p. in sun, though?

On paper probably not, but I have some on my south west and north east
facing walls. It grows a *lot* more slowly on the south side but
provided it doesn't dry out completely seems happy enough. The roots are
in fairly deep shade although the plant itself is not.

Normally I'd say it was perfect on a northerly aspect and has lovely
large compound flowers in early June. If it didn't already look so nice
I would have probably planted a fig or peach on the southern wall.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown