Old 09-05-2013, 09:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default I wonder why?

"Martin" wrote

Martin Brown

, Martin wrote:
David Hill wrote:

I seem to remember a time when posters to this site would use their
real
names, but now it seems that so many posters do all they can to hide
themselves.
What are they afraid off?

SPAM

Or more insidiously the damage that the great Swenfest of 2003 did.

My inbound email clogged up with 1GB/day of hostile binaries for the
best part of a week which is why I now use a cunningly designed but
perfectly valid provided that you make no changes reply-to address.

Bots just cannot resist removing "spam" from it and some scripts were
crashed by the "|" pipe character appearing where and how it does.

I have always posted under my own name and in the early innocent days
with my normal email address (which is long gone but still attracts bulk
spam as do partial msgids of Usenet posts I made decades ago).

I used my full e-mail address when I first started using newsgroups.
My ISP has changed hands many times. The current owner has made all
old versions of my e-mail address invalid. As a result I get almost no
spam.

I have always used my real name on Usenet but mangled my e-mail address, on
other forums I use an old alias because of the seeminly increased number of
nutters there.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.