Old 09-05-2013, 08:18 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Billy[_10_] Billy[_10_] is offline

Default I hate slugs!

In article ,
"Natural Girl" wrote:

I finally caught the culprits in the act of eating my veggies and habaneros!
DIEEEEEEEEEEEE slime!

Besides picking them off the plants at night while juggling a flashlight,
I've read of various methods, organic and non-organic, to get rid of the
slimey pests. I don't want any birds to accidently ingest something and
die, so what can I use that won't kill the birds, but will do all manner of
evil to the slugs?

Look for Iron Phosphate snail bait.

http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn7427.html
Iron phosphate baits‹available under many trade names including Sluggo
and Escar-Go‹have the advantage of being safe for use around children,
domestic animals, birds, fish, and other wildlife, making them a good
choice for an integrated pest management program in your garden.
Ingesting even small amounts of the bait will cause snails and slugs to
stop feeding, although it can take several days for the snails to die.
You can scatter the bait on lawns or on the soil around any vegetable,
ornamental, or fruit tree that needs protection. Iron phosphate baits
can be more effective against snails than slugs overall and more
effective than metaldehyde during periods of higher humidity. Snails and
slugs tend to hide before they die, so you wonąt see scattered empty
shells or dead snails and slugs as you would if treating them with
metaldehyde.*

Home Despot has an in house brand that is/was cheaper than Sluggo.

--
Remember Rachel Corrie
http://www.rachelcorrie.org/

Welcome to the New America.