Old 10-05-2013, 03:58 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Terry Coombs Terry Coombs is offline

Default Well , maybe

"Farm1" wrote in message
"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
Terry Coombs wrote:
"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
Terry Coombs wrote:
someday I'll actually get strawberries to grow . This is the 2nd
time I've tried , and I'll admit that WM isn't the best source .
Twice now I've purchased and planted berry starts the sucker roots
they package in bags of 10 with the same results . They apparently
rot in the ground and never come up .
I guess if I really want strawberries I'm going to have to get a
couple of plants and let 'em spread on their own . I'm wondering if
the cold and wet weather we've had is the reason ... both of my
'maters have frost damage , though both seem to be recovering and
putting out new gowth . And the green onions planted the same day
are doing great .

Established strawbs don't do much until the ground warms up after
the last frost. I wouldn't try starting new crowns until then.

We've been told numerous time by numerous locals that the last frost
is *never* later than April 15th ... yet it froze/frosted here at
least 3 nights in the last 3 weeks - as the blackened leaves on my
tomatoes can attest and the wife covered them on the
coldest-predicted nights . I noticed today that one guy on the
highway out to our place always has a very nice garden has nothing
green showing yet . It has been unusually cold this spring , been
commented on a lot on rec.birds .

The times they are a changing....

It's that damned Global Warming that's causing all this cold weather I
tell ya !!

Ithink it's easier to think of it as being 'climate change'. Here in
the southern hemisphere where I live, we are having unseasonal y warm
weather. By now we've usually had lots of killer frosts and the fires
have been lit and would be a regular feature of life for the next 4
months. So far it's almost balmy.

That comment was meant to be funny/sarcastic/tongue-in-cheek ... I
admit/agree that the climate is changing , I'm just not sure we humans
can take full responsibility for it .

Well I'm not a scientist. Since I'm not, I have to take heed of the
advice given by those scientists who are interested, involved and engaged
in the areas of climate research. Their advice overwhelmingly says that
humans are responsible.

Last I heard some of the most vocal about global warming were caught
falsifying data to support their theories . IMO that ain't science . As I
said , humans play a part , but you have to realize that this big 'ol ball
of dirt we live on is itself a living organism . We are a small but
influential part of that overall organism ... kinda like that e. coli in
your gut .
--
Snag