Old 10-05-2013, 02:03 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Ecnerwal Ecnerwal is offline

Default Well , maybe

In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Ecnerwal wrote:
In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:
Established strawbs don't do much until the ground warms up after
the last frost. I wouldn't try starting new crowns until then.

Not my experience, and I'm a good deal further north (43°). Both
types I have have had green on them right through the winter, and are
pushing out new leaves now.

When was your last frost?

We probably haven't had it yet. Average May 15, and average does mean
later is quite possible. Snow on May 19 in memory (broke a lot of trees
since the leaves were out - lilacs were in bloom.) "Safe for basil" is
more like memorial day.

Historically, frost will not bother the strawberry leaves, but may
bother the blossoms out at the time. Blossoms are starting to show up
now. It's probably been a week or two since the "most recent but not
expected to be the last" frost. Monday morning seems like a good bet for
the next one.