Old 10-05-2013, 11:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Janet is offline

Default Ping: Jake

In article ,
says...

On Fri, 10 May 2013 09:21:17 +0100, David Hill wrote:

Yes. Spring is much delayed this year in the UK...
Swallows and housemartins only arrived this week.

I have only seen one swallow so far this year and that was on Monday,
the same day that I heard a cuckoo.

Strange, I have only seen 1 swallow here so far, but visiting a local
firm based on an old farm last week the swallows were skimming around
the yard, and I was told they had been there for almost 3 weeks.

Plenty of swallows here, Adele won't leave the kitchen door open!

I saw the first ones here about a week ago. (Arran)
At our last place I once left the back door open all day while
gardening and came in late to find the swallows had moved in and were
well ahead with a nest against an open beam in the dining room ceiling.

They always nested in the open roof of the summerhouse too; we could
never use it in summer :-) Very poohy birds.

Janet