Old 10-05-2013, 11:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Phil Gurr Phil Gurr is offline

Default Daffs

On 2013-05-09 18:30:26 +0100, David Hill said:

On 09/05/2013 18:05, Emery Davis wrote:
On Thu, 09 May 2013 13:14:41 +0100, Spider wrote:

Tis true. They need to be left for 6-8 weeks in order for the leaves
feed the bulb. You could give them a high potash feed to help them
along.

Is the right time for this just when their done? I wanted to feed some
blind ones this year, but am not sure when to do it.

Feed ASAP
Now with this bit of rain you could use a liquid tomato feed, and water
it on.

As for tying spent daffs, this was common 50/60 years ago it left a small
garden tidy, but we used to fold a clump of leaves over and slip a rubber
band over them, a lot easier than tying.
David @ a stormy end of Swansea Bay, Mumbles head recorded wind gusting
to 71 mph 2 to 3pm today

Tsk! Grandpa used to tie neat little bundles up with raffia! ;-)

This discussion on Daffs has many similarities with fancy fishing lures -
they are designed to catch fishermen rather than fish. All these fancy
ways of dealing with Daffs once they have finished flowering are designed
to make the gardener feel better, rather than to benefit the Daffs.

Some 40 years ago, a research institute carried out an experiment
in Cornwall to investigate the different methods of dealing with Daffs
once they have finished flowering. The experiment continued for 5
years and the winning group of Daffs were those which had been
cut down to ground level immediately after flowering. They put this
down to two main factors:-

The bulbs made the bulk of 'next years food' before the flowers
had appeared.

Allowing the leaves to shrivel and die before removal allowed a
dramatic increase in the level of eelworm infection in the bulbs.

I have a clump of Daffs in the middle of my lawn which are cut
to lawn level as soon as they have finished flowering. Over the
last 23 years the clump has trebled in size and is frantically
flowering at the moment.

Phil
Northern Highlands of Scotland