Old 10-05-2013, 10:33 PM posted to rec.gardens
Todd[_2_] Todd[_2_] is offline

Default turnip questions

On 05/10/2013 02:32 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:
On Friday, May 10, 2013 1:44:40 PM UTC-7, Todd wrote:
Hi All,

I was thinking of growing some turnips this year.

Questions:

1) what are the rules on ripping off the greens? How many

to pick and how many to leave? And, cut, tear, pull from

where? At the base? leave a few inches?

This site has info about harvesting the GREENS:
http://homeguides.sfgate.com/harvest...ods-21976.html

I've never used them, though I've always heard that the most nutritious part of the plant IS the greens. I know people who float torn leaves on soup/stew.

2) how do you know when to pick the bulbs without digging

them up to look? Is there some indication that they are

in picking range? Sacrifice a few? Just watch you

calendar?

When ground crops like turnips, carrots, etc. are ready to harvest, they bulge a little out of the earth. Be sure to dig deep around when harvesting; I have been known to slice into carrots -- my bad.

A good site for harvesting turnips:

http://www.gardenguides.com/68787-harvest-turnips.html

Good luck!

HB