Old 10-05-2013, 10:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider[_3_] Spider[_3_] is offline

Default Bee deterrent?

On 10/05/2013 22:21, Martin wrote:
On Fri, 10 May 2013 11:52:13 +0100, wrote:

On 05/05/2013 23:05, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sun, 05 May 2013 19:55:35 +0100, Spider wrote:

Well, yes, education would be the right way to go about it. I've tried
no end of times trying to suggest bees are generally harmless. I
usually get the "But they always sting me" type answer.

Do you then ask how many times they have *actually* been stung? More
often than not the answere to that direct question is "never" or "er I
think a couple of times". Their fear of being stung is not supported by
the facts...

With the possible exception of one gent who lives near me who has been
stung many times by bees and wasps. Although he is a budhist, he will
swat them as a last resort :~((. Mostly, though, you're quite right,
but people just don't want to learn.

One day it will be his turn to be a wasp

Indeed. I think he knows that, but he knows the fear more. Having once
been a screaming arachnophobe, I can entirely understand.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London