Old 11-05-2013, 09:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Wasps and Pears

In article ,
Martin wrote:

Despite the EU ban on coal tar products?

I couldn't say, I've never heard of the ban. But I have bought it for
ever in France, and England as well (although not for years).

The ban predated the EU by a decade or more, despite the hysterical
claims of the Euroseptics. It was entirely a UK matter.

I am not a Euroseptic. EU bans are almost always for a good reason.
I hadn't realised that the EU ban was relatively recent.
Coal tar products, such as creosote, were banned in The Netherlands at
least 20 years ago.

I was referring specifically to Wright's soap which, if I recall,
stopped using real coal tar in the 1950s or 1960s, at which time
there was some sort of ban. But my memory of that is hazy.

A lot of such products from my childhood have been stopped and
I have no regrets - and not just on safety. Have you ever used
the original Gibbs SR? SR stands for Sodium Resorcinate, which
is a soap (and, yes, that is exactly what it tasted like).
Yellow block soap. (Real) TCP for cuts.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.