Old 11-05-2013, 10:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Wasps and Pears

On Sat, 11 May 2013 10:03:36 +0200, Martin wrote:

On Fri, 10 May 2013 23:43:31 +0100 (BST), wrote:

The ban predated the EU by a decade or more, despite the hysterical
claims of the Euroseptics. It was entirely a UK matter.

I am not a Euroseptic. EU bans are almost always for a good reason.
I hadn't realised that the EU ban was relatively recent.
Coal tar products, such as creosote, were banned in The Netherlands at
least 20 years ago.

Careful, some one's going to bring up banana curvature in a minute...

I didn't know creosote was banned, as chance would have it I was talking
with a neighbour farmer about the need to creosote my rail fence soon. I
wonder if farmers are still allowed to use it; there are tons of wood
fencing around here at the big stud farms.

Does anyone know what replaces creosote for treating wood fencing?

Sorry for the thread drift, wasps bother my pears too.

-E

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy