Old 12-05-2013, 03:29 AM posted to rec.gardens
Dan Espen[_2_] Dan Espen[_2_] is offline

Default Advice on what to plant in a north facing border in northern climes...

AdeTheJambo writes:

Hello

As a gardening newbie, I hope you can give some advice as in what to
plant in a north facing border in Edinburgh.

We have a north facing border at the side of our house. It gets very
little sun even in the height of summer and has been hardly used for
anything for several years.

I would like to make something of it but have no real clue as to what
would thrive there (other than the multitude of weeks that have just
been dug up). It is not visible from the exterior due to a high hedge so
aesthetics are not the only consideration, but as it is visible from the
house either something nice and colourful or something practical (eg
veg) might work for us.

Any suggestions / hints / tips gratefully received as to what to plant
and / or how to ensure there is sufficient nutrition in the soil
gratefully received.

I grow Hosta in almost total shade.
The plants grow well.

--