Old 25-04-2003, 10:20 AM
Nick Maclaren

Default legal or illegal?

In article ,
(Neil Jones) writes:

| If I aquired the owners permission would it be
| legal for me to remove them and put them inside and outside in my own
| ditches. My gardens are surrounded on all sides by blackberry ditches and
| there are some there already low down among the ferns. I love to see these
| wonderful spring flowers in the wild and hate the idea of the diggers moving
| in and mowing them down.
|
| Yes that's fine. It would be just as if you bought them at a nursery.
| Getting plants to grow successfully in wild locations is complicated.
| Ecology is very complicated. There is a paper in the scientific
| journal Nature this week that talks about the bugs in the soil
| affecting which plants grow in a wild system but since there are
| primroses there all ready it should work.

No, it WOULDN'T be just as good buying them at a nursery! Encouraging
that practice is ecologically irresponsible - which is one of the
reasons that obscene Act is so harmful.

By naturalising nursery-grown plants, you are effectively importing
an inbred and alien strain of plant to the area, thus harming the
wild stock. Even when nurseries offer "wild strains", they are
rarely the ones that are local to the particular area and are often
a SINGLE wild strain. The effect of this is to reduce or eliminate
the genes that have developed in the local variations.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.