Old 12-05-2013, 06:57 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Natural Girl Natural Girl is offline

Default I hate slugs!

On 5/12/2013 9:28 AM, John wrote:
On 5/9/2013 12:35 PM, Natural Girl wrote:

I finally caught the culprits in the act of eating my veggies and
habaneros!
DIEEEEEEEEEEEE slime!

Besides picking them off the plants at night while juggling a flashlight,
I've read of various methods, organic and non-organic, to get rid of the
slimey pests. I don't want any birds to accidently ingest something and
die, so what can I use that won't kill the birds, but will do all
manner of
evil to the slugs?

Someonw here claims that epson salts keeps the slugs away and also acts
as a fertilizer but use sparingly.

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/l...172027231.html

John

I read that somewhere, too, so I bought some. Yesterday, I mixed a spray
solution of 4T Epsom salts + 2T of unsulphured molasses + 1oz of fish
emulsion fertilizer + about 4T composted ckn poop tea and filled the
30oz hand sprayer with that and the rest was captured rain water. So, I
sprayed all of my peppers, cucumbers, & tomatoes with it and had about
1/3 of it left. Thirty minutes later it rained and washed it all off,
so when it stopped raining, I emptied the rest and re-sprayed everything
again. It didn't rain again this time. I took a look at the plants
today and they haven't turned brown or died, so I guess it's doing it's
job. They even look greener today. smile

--
Natural Girl