Old 12-05-2013, 08:15 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
John John is offline

Default I hate slugs!

On 5/12/2013 1:57 PM, Natural Girl wrote:
On 5/12/2013 9:28 AM, John wrote:
On 5/9/2013 12:35 PM, Natural Girl wrote:

I finally caught the culprits in the act of eating my veggies and
habaneros!
DIEEEEEEEEEEEE slime!

Besides picking them off the plants at night while juggling a
flashlight,
I've read of various methods, organic and non-organic, to get rid of the
slimey pests. I don't want any birds to accidently ingest something and
die, so what can I use that won't kill the birds, but will do all
manner of
evil to the slugs?

Someonw here claims that epson salts keeps the slugs away and also acts
as a fertilizer but use sparingly.

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/l...172027231.html

John

I read that somewhere, too, so I bought some. Yesterday, I mixed a spray
solution of 4T Epsom salts + 2T of unsulphured molasses + 1oz of fish
emulsion fertilizer + about 4T composted ckn poop tea and filled the
30oz hand sprayer with that and the rest was captured rain water. So, I
sprayed all of my peppers, cucumbers, & tomatoes with it and had about
1/3 of it left. Thirty minutes later it rained and washed it all off,
so when it stopped raining, I emptied the rest and re-sprayed everything
again. It didn't rain again this time. I took a look at the plants
today and they haven't turned brown or died, so I guess it's doing it's
job. They even look greener today. smile

Plants prefer pure H2O so no proof there, the long haul tells the tale.

I don't know if it works or not but tomatoes and peppers along with
other stuff goes in at the end of the month and the those two are highly
recommended for liking Epson salts. So I intend to give it a go here in
SW Pennsylvania, USA.

My son, who couldn't wait to plant, texted me earlier (lives next door
in the state of Ohio) lamenting the fact that a freeze is expected there
tonight. I could only tell him that they sell plastic drop cloths by the
roll. --- LOL

We have many wild roses that despite my best attempts at mutilation keep
up the faith year after year so I will probably try the solution on them
as well.

The scallions are just coming up and looking particularly tasty ... must
resist ...

Hope it works for you
John