Old 13-05-2013, 10:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David Hill David Hill is offline

Default Upside down runneer beans.

On 13/05/2013 09:57, Roger Tonkin wrote:
In article ,
says...

20% of my runner beans didn't germinate, 10% produced twins, most of
the remainder decided to present their roots through the top of the pot
and the leaves through the side. The pots were made out of
newspaper...The beans are 'white lady'. I've not come across it
before. For two years now, using paper pots, l have found that
brassicas do not develop even after planting out. Others started in
plastic pots present no problems. l started using a different newspaper
last year and l am wondering if it was that.
Any one any ideas?

A couple more stupid suggestions!

Did you plant the seed upside down?

Is there light getting in at the bottom of the pot?

This shouldn't have any effect on the roots as they are geotropic, that
is gravity directs their direction of growth, whilst the leaves are
Photropic, they grow towards light.