Old 15-05-2013, 01:50 PM posted to rec.gardens
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default All sort of bugs in the soil

David Hare-Scott wrote:
songbird wrote:
Billy wrote:
If you have a lot of pests, something that preys on them will be
along soon. Identify your pests, and you can assist their predators.

that is a good response, please send
predators for idiot motorcycle riders.

Mack trucks are hard to email......

the problem with attracting mack truck's is that
you need beer, which is also the attractant to
idiot motorcycle riders. before the recent
motorcycle craze we just had the usual drunks not
remembering this is a T-bone corner. now with
the motorcycles, not only do we have the usual
drunks, we also have the riders who think that if
they pass with on-coming traffic they somehow have
a magical shield of protection around them. there
are no shoulders on this road. there's nowhere
to dodge if one of them jinks out in front of you
when you're on the way home. so we almost ate one
Saturday with the front of the car. no injuries,
no crashes, just an annoyed me and i hope a little
more cautious motorcycled rider.

ok, off-topic, but to return to the real topic
of pests. i saw two aphids the other day on a tulip.
i haven't seen aphids in a long time. i brushed
them off with my finger. the tulip gardens have no
green belt in them to harbor lady beetles and we
turned a few gardens near them into veggie gardens.
i'll have to plant a few alfalfa patches along the
north edge to give the lady beetles a refuge for the
off-season/winter. will cut into the climbing bean
space, but i'll bet it won't make that much of a
difference in the end. the climbing beans look to
be quite willing to try to smother an alfalfa plant.

the weather looks good for today's gardening. if i
can get the bags of wood shreddings dug in i'll be
ready to plant more onions and peas tomorrow.

the woodchuck is back. i think a hawk got at least
one of the bunnies. the woodchuck might be too big
for a hawk to tackle. haven't seen any chipmunks yet.
plenty of snakes around. yay! get them mice and
chippies.

ok, gotta get my butt outta bed and water the bird-
baths and check on the sprouts and give that seedbed
a mist. the beets should start showing up this week
if they're going to sprout at all.

songbird