Old 15-05-2013, 05:42 PM posted to alt.home.repair,ba.gardens,rec.gardens
Dan Espen[_2_] Dan Espen[_2_] is offline

Default Ideas for improving this second-generation home composting method

"Danny D." writes:

On Tue, 14 May 2013 23:10:18 +0000, DirtBag wrote:

Hmmmm, maybe that's my problem. Too small! (oops)

I took all your advice to heart, and added two more
steps to my composting sequence:

1. I now rake the compost over a larger area than before
(in order to aerate it and allow bacteria their freedom).

2. I disinfect the compost bin in the kitchen with chlorine
(to keep the mold away, which has been happening lately).

Those bacteria are what you want to break down the compost.
Adding chlorine to house air is a bad idea.

PS: The wife has been complaining about the smell of the pool
chlorine in the kitchen; so I have to clean it at night.

Keep the container sealed.
I put coffee grinds, spent flowers, pistachio shells, and leaves in mine.
Nothing smells. The actual compost is 99% yard waste.
You mentioned pulling weeds and not composting them.
That does not seem logical. If you give it enough time the
seeds won't survive.

--
Dan Espen