Old 16-05-2013, 10:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Mulching with grass clippings

"mogga" wrote in message
On Tue, 7 May 2013 20:25:45 +0100, Roger Tonkin
wrote:

I have tried this technique once or twice without much
success. Either I get masses of weeds coming through,
or the grass clippings coagulate into a sticky mess
(as they do in a compost heap if you put too many in
at once).

I would really like to use the clipping to mulch
around my respberries as they are getting old and weak
and I was hoping that would help next years canes
develop.

Any tips please?

If you dry them (rake them up rather than collect them) then they
won't heat up when you apply them as a mulch.
Thin layers regularly of fresh clippings is the way to avoid it
heating up.
--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk

Two things that help make mowings work well as a mulch are 1 cut grass
regularly, keep it short, this cuts down on seed heads, 2 apply it at the
right thickness, too much and it heats up, to little and it doesn't do its
job, couple of inches works for me.

It goes without saying that if you are using the mowings as a mulch don't
use weed n' feed type products!!

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs