Old 17-05-2013, 06:08 AM posted to rec.gardens
Billy[_10_] Billy[_10_] is offline

Default squirrels stealing tomatoes

In article ,
"Gus" wrote:

"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
"Gus" wrote:

You can catch and release but it has to be pretty far away or they come
back. And if it far away, well then they are in unfamiliar territory and
in
an area likely already occupied. So it may be less cruel to euthanize...
But if the damn things could just live in harmony with my me and leave
most
my tomatoes alone, then I would not have ill feelings for them. They are
not good neighbors!

I have many squirrels, and the worst that they have done is tip over
seedlings that have been set out to catch some sun. Maybe I'm just crazy
lucky. I'm curious though. Are there any oak trees around you, or other
trees that would provide nourishment for the squirrels?

Lots of trees around here. Though some streets don't have any, but in
general lots around. No oaks on the block but some mighty ones a few blocks
away.

I have a maple in the front yard about two stories high. There is a
squirrel that appears to own it and chases away any squirrels that
encroach... I had a problem with some getting into a section of my roof
last year, piece of soffit was missing I found out later and a couple
squirrels discovered it and thought it was a dandy place to move in to. The
exterminator said even if you cover up where they were getting in, they will
come back and do whatever they can to get back in. So his company
euthanizes any caught. Though he said they could also catch and release
down state about 30 miles. But after reading what happens to a squirrel
released into unfamiliar territory where squirrels already live, decided it
was more humane to euthanize.

Oh, little mysteries of life.

--
Remember Rachel Corrie