Old 17-05-2013, 12:21 PM posted to rec.gardens
Gus[_2_] Gus[_2_] is offline

Default squirrels stealing tomatoes

"Natural Girl" wrote in message
On 5/15/2013 8:21 PM, Gus wrote:
"Natural Girl" wrote in message

An aside ... some time ago a friend of mine went to open a sealed
package of microwave oatmeal for her breakfast. A petrified dead
mouse was in the package instead of oatmeal. The oatmeal company said
they'd give her a new box of oatmeal for her problem. She doesn't buy
packaged oatmeal anymore!

My mom used to get Mrs Grasse soup when I was young. One day I open the
box (it was dehydrated noodles with a flavor packet). I poured out the
box into a bowl and there was an empty locust shell... I never ate
that brand again.

yuk .. I don't blamer her.

Yet, on BBC Overnight, the other days was a story about using insects for
food. Many children die of malnutrition in this world we live in, but
insects provide a good source of protein and sustenance. The interviewee
suggested that it would be worthwhile to set up insect farms to raise
insects for food. Approximately 1/2 of children under 5 that die, die of
malnutrition related problems.

People eat some disgusting looking things such as lobsters, crawfish and
crabs-- why not insects? Is a lobster that much different than a giant
cockroach? Some societies eat insects. And don't chimps consider ants a
delicacy? Though I can't imagine eating an insect and find it completely
repulsive. Why is that?

I was thinking someone should come up with something to do with all the
cicadas. Migrant workers could travel around capturing the different broods
that appear in different years. You have to remove the shells and scratchy
parts, and ground them up. But we already do that with many meats. Hamburger
looks nothing like Betsy the cow (or the 100 different Betsys it may be
from.) You know, if the locust shell in the box I saw had been ground up, I
am pretty sure I never would have known the difference and ate the soup none
the worse for wear.