Old 18-05-2013, 05:40 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default First lawn, first post. In need of advice....

On May 18, 11:00*am, "Bob F" wrote:
TeaBag wrote:
Bob F;982374 Wrote:
Harder, but they still show up. I just walk around my lawn with a
hand sprayer
of weed-b-gon once in a while, and spritz the few that do show up.
Again,
getting them before they go to seed makes a huge difference.

Thanks again, Bob. The weeds that I've sprayed have gone yellow and
limp now. I'm assuming that they;re now dead and that they can now be
removed. Should I remove them all or just dig them in? Or perhaps just
remove the bigger ones?

Don't rush it. Give the chemical time to complete the job. Then do whatever
seems appropriate. Turning them under shouldn't be a problem. If you are not
going to plant till fall, you need to think of what happens until then, because
without some preventative, the weeds will come back all summer. If there are
seed on the dying weeds, removing them should help a lot, but you will still
need to mulch the area to slow more weeds from popping up, and quickly pull
those that do.

You could plant lawn now if you can afford watering it, depending on your
climate. If you still have significant rains, like I do in Seattle, it might do
well.

Do we even know what the plan is at this point? He
first said he was planning on establishing a new lawn at
the end of summer. So, why is he even killing stuff now
and talking about possibly tilling weeds in? Fall is the
best time to establish a lawn and if he's not going to do
that until then, why is he killing stuff now? I'd just mow
until late Aug, then start the process with killing the
existing vegetation.