Old 19-05-2013, 10:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Baz[_3_] Baz[_3_] is offline

Default I hate to say it, but another unproductive year.

Sacha wrote in
:

On 2013-05-18 17:55:24 +0100, Bob Hobden said:

"Baz" wrote .

Brassicas have wilted. ALL of them. I don't think it is cabbage root
fly because I have taken precautions, such as collars around them.
No Brussels sprouts this year, again.

Is there still time to have another go at it this year?

Have you got a proper old nursery near you that grows veg plants?
When I have a failure, savoys and winter cabage this year we go and
buy the plants. Our local one does strips of 12 for £1.50 so it's
hardly worth doing it yourself anyway considering the cost of seed
etc..

Amazing how many people are now growing their own veg. At Tucker's
particularly, the sales of veg plants are outselling the ornamentals.

It IS amazing. Fresh veg. are far tastier than shop bought ones. I am glad
that folk are comming around to this. We,(family)at home can never go back
to shop bought stuff. Only during winter.

Perhaps it's the dire cold start to the year that's prompted a lot of
people to give up trying to get their own going and to buy baby
plants.

Yes, that could be it! And I, for one, have done it already this year. It
has gone belly up. Another go is on the cards. Fingers and toes crossed.

Baz