Old 19-05-2013, 06:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David Hill David Hill is offline

Default I hate to say it, but another unproductive year.

On 19/05/2013 16:49, David Rance wrote:
On Sun, 19 May 2013 Sacha wrote:

One of the things I find irritating when shopping online is that Tesco
rarely put the country of origin on produce. They do tend to say
"British" if it is, though. British asparagus beats all others hands
down, imo. The last we had was from the Wye valley, David and I can
recommend it highly. ;-) Our own crowns, planted as two year olds
last year have disappeared entirely. I assume they just rotted away.

I sowed some asparagus seed two years ago and planted them out last
year. They grew but the stems were very thin. Would that be normal?

We're just about to go over to Normandy to see how they're getting on
this year. I wonder if they'll be strong enough to harvest.....

David

They will take 2 to 3 years to produce good sized spears, and will
continue to provide larger ones for several years