Old 20-05-2013, 02:46 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Dying Acer Advice

On 5/19/13 6:42 AM, mattyvx wrote:
Hello I bought an Acer (Japanese maple) last from the garden center
which had two lead branches that weren't connected above the soil line.

This year the leaves have started to form and the plant is really
growing well on one of the two leaders (as you can see from the
pictures) however the second leader the leaves have shrivelled and are
dying.

What should I do to maximize growth from the plant?
Do I remove the recessive "upright" to allow the dominant to grow?
If so, when should I do this? Now during growing season or wait till
late summer

Thanks!

|Filename: 20130519_135553 (Medium).jpg |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=15559|
|Filename: 20130519_135547 (Medium).jpg |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=15560|

When you planted it, did you check to see if it was really one plant
with two leaders or possibly two plants each with one leader? I suspect
from the photos that the latter is true. Cut down the dead plant, and
keep the live one.

Actually, the live plant will not maintain a leader at all. It will
branch repeatedly without any dominant central trunk more than 2-3 feet
above the pot. This seems to be a Japanese maple (Acer palmatum),
possibly a 'Bloodgood'. These are rather small trees, 'Bloodgood' being
among the largest, eventually reaching 15 feet if planted in the ground.
It will never get that large in a pot.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see