Old 20-05-2013, 04:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Judith in England Judith in England is offline

Default Slugs - Phosphor Bronze

A friend gave me some lengths of Phosphor Bronze draught excluder he found in
his garage - apparently very popular in the 60s.

It is something like 95% copper.

I thought that it would be perfect for nailing around my raised beds as a slug
deterrent: so I tried a little experiment.

I cut four strips of the material and nailed them to a flat piece of wood in a
square. I then put a slug in the middle of the square. It slowly made its way
across the square - and then straight over the "copper" strip.

Does anyone use copper as a slug deterrent and do you think it makes any
difference?