Old 20-05-2013, 05:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Stephen Wolstenholme[_3_] Stephen Wolstenholme[_3_] is offline

Default Slugs - Phosphor Bronze

On Mon, 20 May 2013 16:27:36 +0100, Judith in England
wrote:

A friend gave me some lengths of Phosphor Bronze draught excluder he found in
his garage - apparently very popular in the 60s.

It is something like 95% copper.

I thought that it would be perfect for nailing around my raised beds as a slug
deterrent: so I tried a little experiment.

I cut four strips of the material and nailed them to a flat piece of wood in a
square. I then put a slug in the middle of the square. It slowly made its way
across the square - and then straight over the "copper" strip.

Does anyone use copper as a slug deterrent and do you think it makes any
difference?

Phosphor bronze is about 95% copper but it does not behave like copper
at all. It won't deter slugs and neither will pure copper unless it's
going green. Alternate strips of copper tape and steel tape will deter
slugs because of the electricity produced!

Steve