Old 20-05-2013, 09:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Default Black Strawberries

Martin Brown wrote:
The yellow ones are quite fun for a novelty. Black was a bridge too far.

I found most of hte yellow ones tasteless and squishy.

Maybe I was unlucky and they would taste OK in a sunnier year.

Not in my experience.

I have to net soft fruit if I want to eat any of them. Raspberries are a
notable exception as the birds find the stems too flexible to land on.

The only thing the birds (touch wood) tend to feast on are the redcurrants.
And only the early ones (we have 2 bushes, inheritted on the allotment, and
one fruits about a month or more earlier than the other. If it isn't netted
it is stripped bare very quickly)