Old 25-04-2003, 12:44 PM
Nick Maclaren

Default legal or illegal?

In article ,
Kay Easton writes:

| No, it WOULDN'T be just as good buying them at a nursery! Encouraging
| that practice is ecologically irresponsible - which is one of the
| reasons that obscene Act is so harmful.
|
| If you buy native plants at a nursery which have been raised in a
| nursery not dug up from the wild, and which your are going to plant in
| your own garden, that is no more ecologically harmful than growing alien
| species in your garden.

That is true, but what I was railing against was the recent,
politically motivated, claims that buying from a nursery for
naturalising is ecologically good and taking plants from the
wild is ecologically harmful. It can be, but the converse is
equally often true.

Generally, you are PRESERVING the UK wild primrose stocks by
using plants taken from the area around you.

| By naturalising nursery-grown plants, you are effectively importing
| an inbred and alien strain of plant to the area, thus harming the
| wild stock.
|
| That is very true, but Jane wasn't suggesting that. She was talking
| about planting in her garden, where it don't matter as much.

Hmm. "inside and outside in my own ditches"? It could mean either.

| But I agree with you, it is not a good idea to sow wild flower seeds
| from other sources into the wild.

Yes, precisely.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.