Old 21-05-2013, 01:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mentalguy2k8[_2_] Mentalguy2k8[_2_] is offline

Default Strimming grass, two questions

"Chris Hogg" wrote in message
On Tue, 21 May 2013 12:06:33 +0100, "Mentalguy2k8"
wrote:

Helping a housebound relative with a bit of a neglected garden.

Firstly, is it advisable to strim grass on a lawn/edging/borders while
it's
wet? It's been raining on and off and it's damp.

Secondly, what's the tactic for badly overgrown grass/weeds? On average
it's
about 6 inches high but higher in places. I was thinking of taking it all
down a few inches, then giving it a couple of days to get upright again,
then taking it down to a sensible level. Any point to this, or should I
just
go at it and do it in one hit?

of your strimmer. If it's a relatively low-powered electric job, then
it's more likely to struggle with both wet and long grass and need two
attempts than a petrol strimmer. If it's the latter, I'd just do both
all in one go (I gave up on electric strimmers some years ago). I see
no particular problem in strimming wet grass, other than it may build
up on the shield on the strimmer head and you may need to clean it off
occasionally. Whether you'd be worried by the risk of electric shock
with an electric strimmer and wet grass, I'll let you decide, but in
any circumstance you should be using an appropriate circuit breaker
just in case.

Thanks Chris. I just wondered if it made any difference to anything if I cut
when it was wet, I'm not looking forward to cleaning me and the strimmer
afterwards....

I'll be using an extension reel with a built-in circuit breaker anyway. Now
it's stopped spitting I'll go out there and see what happens,