Old 21-05-2013, 02:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Wendy Tinley Wendy Tinley is offline

Default Pond water product (reply to Sacha)

On 2013-05-13 13:47:16 +0100, Wendy Tinley said:

On 10/05/2013 18:47, Sacha wrote:

It was mentioned on Twitter, possibly by someone who uses the dye for a
reflective pool. Can you tell us if any of the products have an effect
on duckweed? Quite apart from that particular pest, people here often
post about cloudiness or weed in their ponds.

Hi Sacha,

I've forwarded the discussion to one of the directors, Peter Watson.
He's not replied so he could be on holiday. He's a really approachable
man and will give info about the product.

My interest is that I'm a supplier to their company, not that I work
for them.

Best regards

Thanks, Wendy. If it has an effect on the dreaded duckweed, we'll
certainly be customers and I'm sure there would be a few others, too!

Hi Sacha,

Received a reply to day from Peter Watson. In answer to your query about
duckweed; Peter wrote:

--------------------
'Duckweed winters at the bottom of ponds and only grows when enough
sunlight is available for photosynthesis to occur. Using DyoFix from
early springtime will prevent a lot of light reaching the wintering
weeds and may prevent growth.'

'As duckweed is a free floating weed, once it has reached the surface
DyoFix cannot prevent growth. The only remedy is manual removal once it
has floated to the top.'
-------------------------

There is a letter from a customer on their website that mentions
duckweed. (http://www.dyofix.co.uk/pond-blue-news.html)

The customer wrote: (funny penultimate paragraph about his Labrador!

--------------------
Having moved into an old cottage a couple of years ago the time came to
deal with the vile smelling 30m x 30m x 5m natural pond!

Said pond had just about every type of algae you could possibly imagine
and as an added bonus had a faulty septic tank discharging untreated
liquid into it for 5 years previously. It doesn't take much imagination
to visualise this green, stinking nightmare.

Anyway, we replaced the septic tank, cleared the algae manually from a
dinghy and then with great scepticism put the barley straw boom across
the pond. Unbelievably 2 months later the pond was clear. The problem
now was to keep it clear, enter Dyofix Pond Blue.

Having been around for several decades and bought umpteen products that
promise the earth and deliver nothing I chucked the appropriate quantity
of concentrate into the pond and looked forward to the return of the
duckweed and algae. Guess what, this product really does work, the pond
looks absolutely brilliant, clean, clear, slightly blue and has nothing
growing on it apart from ducks and moorhens!

Fantastic product would seriously recommend it and will be purchasing
some more shortly. Just as an added bonus the staff are friendly and
helpful, another rarity these days. The only drawback and this was my
fault, was not keeping the dog out of the way when dispensing the
concentrate and so had a slightly blue Labrador for a couple of days
until we took him to the seaside!

In sixty years I have never written this sort of letter to any company
so you can see how pleased I am with the product.

So the answer seems to be to manually clear the duckweed and then use
Dyofix Pond Blue/Black/Shadow to inhibit growth by stopping the
components of sunlight feeding new growth.

Do call them for more information on 0113 256 4251 if you need it - I
just design their website.

Hope that helps!

--
Wendy Tinley