Old 21-05-2013, 04:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Pond water product (reply to Sacha)

On 2013-05-13 13:47:16 +0100, Wendy Tinley said:

On 10/05/2013 18:47, Sacha wrote:

It was mentioned on Twitter, possibly by someone who uses the dye for a
reflective pool. Can you tell us if any of the products have an effect
on duckweed? Quite apart from that particular pest, people here often
post about cloudiness or weed in their ponds.

Hi Sacha,

I've forwarded the discussion to one of the directors, Peter Watson.
He's not replied so he could be on holiday. He's a really approachable
man and will give info about the product.

My interest is that I'm a supplier to their company, not that I work
for them.

Best regards

Thanks, Wendy. If it has an effect on the dreaded duckweed, we'll
certainly be customers and I'm sure there would be a few others, too!

Hi Sacha,

Received a reply to day from Peter Watson. In answer to your query about
duckweed; Peter wrote:

--------------------
'Duckweed winters at the bottom of ponds and only grows when enough
sunlight is available for photosynthesis to occur. Using DyoFix from early
springtime will prevent a lot of light reaching the wintering weeds and may
prevent growth.'

'As duckweed is a free floating weed, once it has reached the surface
DyoFix cannot prevent growth. The only remedy is manual removal once it has
floated to the top.'
-------------------------

There is a letter from a customer on their website that mentions duckweed.
(http://www.dyofix.co.uk/pond-blue-news.html)

The only way to eradicate Duckweed is with one of these products that skim
off any floating debris.
Even so it will take some time to complete the job as the duckweed gets
caught in other plants but you would notice a difference within a very short
period. You would also have to clear out the captured duckweed quite often.
especially at first, after that once a day is OK.
Clearing the surface of the pond of all floating debris makes a huge
difference to the look of a pond.

http://www.pondpumpsdirect.com/Oase-...s/c-1-324-330/

--
Regards. Bob Hobden.