Old 21-05-2013, 06:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jake Jake is offline

Default Morning Glory

On 21 May 2013 11:05:36 GMT, wrote:

I have rather a lot of Morning Glory in various blues this year. (I planted
more than I wanted cos last year they failed to germinate - I used up all of
the old seed this year, and one packet has had 10% germination, where the
rest have mostly failed ... so now I have about 60 plants!!)

I've only ever grown them in the back, south-facing garden before, where they
have done moderately well. Since I have so many, I was thinking about trying
some in the front, which is north facing, and only gets late afternoon/evening
sun.

Would they hate that?
(It seems to be good enough for climbing roses, honeysuckle, heucherer (sp?)
and crocosmia, if that's any use)

IME a lot of this "plant against south facing fence", "shield from
morning sun" and all that is merely so that whoever has sold the
plants gets more *very* satisfied customers. Most plants will adapt
happily. I've got sun lovers in shade, shade lovers in sun. A
neighbour has loads of camellias which never fail to catch the rising
sun and which look a lot better than mine which are planted "according
to instructions".

What will you do with the plants otherwise? You've nothing to lose by
having a go. Let us know how you get on.

FWIW I left a wall planter full of tender fuchsias out on the wall
through the winter as an experiment. They're growing better than my
cosseted cuttings in the greenhouse!

--
Cheers, Jake