Old 22-05-2013, 11:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Baz[_3_] Baz[_3_] is offline

Default Heavy Gardening Gloves

Jake wrote in
:

On Tue, 21 May 2013 18:09:37 +0100, Tom Gardner
wrote:

I have some brambles and roses to clear and would like
to have a /thick/ pair of leather gloves so I don't
experience involuntary acupuncture.

I currently have one glove which is completely made of
thick (1mm, probably 2mm) leather. It does resist
thorns almost completely.

Having looked in my local garden centre and DIY shops,
all I can find is a myriad varieties of sort and/or thin
and/or fleecy gloves that have leather on one side.

Any hints as to how to locate heavy-duty leather gloves
would be appreciated. Or anything else that is suitable
for brambles (and preferably homicidal macaws, but
that's another story).

Thanks

For heavy gloves I avoid garden centres and the sheds and go to a
builders' merchant. In fact, these days, I get all my gardening gloves
from one. Usually a lot cheaper.

I agree.
I get all my gardening accesories from builders merchants. Sometimes you
have to order an item from their catalogue but it is usually only 24hrs
delivery. The counter staff are IME, very helpful too.

Baz