Old 22-05-2013, 02:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Paulownia

On 2013-05-22 10:13:33 +0100, Charlie Pridham said:

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
Driving through Twickenham yesterday and near the Green there was a
Paulownia in perfect full flower, my wife exclaimed " that can't be a
Jacaranda", but it did look that good.
Most gardeners seem to coppice them annually so they get the huge
leaves but maybe it's better to let them grow if you have the room.
It's obviously taken what the last few winters have thrown at it and
survived well.

As chance would have it, I took a sandwich to the gardens at Trocadero at
lunchtime. The Paulownia (I think Imperialis) line the fountains and are
dotted through the gardens. They're in full bloom at the mo, fabulous,
there are some very large ones. I put a couple of pics (on the wife's
account) at

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9158563...th/8785370510/

telephone pics so the colours aren't very good, but they are lovely.
Interesting there are a number of newly planted ones, clearly they're
replacing as they go.

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy