Old 23-05-2013, 06:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_10_] Sacha[_10_] is offline

Default Container gardening

On 2013-05-22 21:30:32 +0100, Derek Turner said:

We live in a rented house and recently we have had our back 'garden'
converted into a courtyard, half slabbed half shingles. Should help the
200-year-old house dry out.

The courtyard is east-facing in Jersey and gets the sun from early
morning until late afternoon (when it goes behind the four-storey house).
With walls all round it's a proper little sun-trap. We've not had a frost
in the last five years (i.e. as long as we've lived here).

Think Mediterranean courtyard with lower average temperatures

So, glad to see the back of the weedy 'borders' and rampant ivy, we are
now into container gardening. We are looking to grow standard bay, an
olive and already have a healthy agapanthus. Suggestions for other
specimen plants e.g. palms suitable for container-growing would be very
welcome. Nothing that makes too much mess, though - that's the dogs' job.

tia

Derek

Some of the colourful Phormiums are good in containers and so are the
big leaf Hostas. You could also go the topiary route and get some
interestingly shaped box (St Peter's Nurseries had some a couple of
years ago) Grasses of various heights and colours would be interesting
and Camellias can be container grown, too.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com