Old 23-05-2013, 09:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Container gardening

On 22/05/2013 21:30, Derek Turner wrote:
We live in a rented house and recently we have had our back 'garden'
converted into a courtyard, half slabbed half shingles. Should help the
200-year-old house dry out.

The courtyard is east-facing in Jersey and gets the sun from early
morning until late afternoon (when it goes behind the four-storey house).
With walls all round it's a proper little sun-trap. We've not had a frost
in the last five years (i.e. as long as we've lived here).

Think Mediterranean courtyard with lower average temperatures

So, glad to see the back of the weedy 'borders' and rampant ivy, we are
now into container gardening. We are looking to grow standard bay, an
olive and already have a healthy agapanthus. Suggestions for other
specimen plants e.g. palms suitable for container-growing would be very
welcome. Nothing that makes too much mess, though - that's the dogs' job.

tia

Derek

Courtyard size?

I would consider succulents such as agaves and aloes if you have the
space. Maybe some of the hardier cacti if you can keep them on the dry
side in winter. Could you get away with a bougainvillea against one of
the walls? If you want something exotic, try Banksias. They have
wonderful flowers and interesting fruiting bodies. You could also try
other Australian proteaceae such as Grevillea, which can have some
flowers for much of the year.

What about a fig? Perfect for a largish container. You might also get
a loquat (Eriobotrya japonica) to fruit in a walled garden. It is a very
attractive evergreen with its large leaves anyway, and being in a walled
garden sheltered from wind (which tends to damage the leaves somewhat)
it should look its best.

For smaller plants, there are many South African bulbs which would enjoy
a dry baking in summer, and reward you with flowers in the autumn and
early winter.

--

Jeff