Old 23-05-2013, 10:33 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default First lawn, first post. In need of advice....

On May 23, 11:00*am, TeaBag wrote:
[_2_ Wrote:

;983566']

Do we even know what the plan is at this point? *He
first said he was planning on establishing a new lawn at
the end of summer. *So, why is he even killing stuff now
and talking about possibly tilling weeds in? *Fall is the
best time to establish a lawn and if he's not going to do
that until then, why is he killing stuff now? * I'd just mow
until late Aug, then start the process with killing the
existing vegetation.

Well, that's why I'm asking advice; because I don't know the best way to
go about it.

By "what the plan is" I meant it wasn't clear to me what
you are actually trying to achieve.

I thought that I'd kill my "lawn of weeds" now, turn it
over, let it settle, kill any more that might appear in the meantime.
this should take me up to the end of the summer when I'll lay turf. Lots
of prep to ensure a good lawn. I hope.

--
TeaBag

That's a bad strategy. What's the point to killing weeds now
and turning over the soil so that new weeds will grow all
summer? I don't think anyone here ever told you to do that.
If the soil is OK, except for the weeds, you don't have to till
it at all if you're going to use seed. And regardless of whether
you're going to use seed or sod, there is no point in doing
anything until late Aug. I would just keep it mowed for the
summer. That has to be better that looking at a bare, tilled
up earth and dealing with all the weeds that are going to be
growing......