Old 24-05-2013, 10:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Heavy Gardening Gloves

In article ,
Martin wrote:

Welders Gloves
http://www.cromwell.co.uk/shop/41031...ders-gauntlets

I'll second that.

I find that the problem with heavy gloves is that I lose so much
sensation that I become dangerous - either to plants I am pruning
or to myself.

I need to be dangerous to the brambles, so that's a bonus

How do heavy gloves make you more dangerous to yourself?

Tools slipping out of my hands. Failing to realise that what I
am relying on for balance (and I balance entirely by touch) is
not stable. But the former is the main one, and applies to
almost every user of potentially dangerous tools. It's a known
cause of industrial accident, in most cases a price worth paying
because of the reduced risk - but sometimes it is the protective
gear that is the main risk.

If astronauts can cope, so can you, Nick :-)

If you can find an astronaut with no vestibular (semi-circular
canal) function, I will be a little surprised.

On the slipping out of the hands problem, yes, they can - but the
gloves mean that everything takes many times longer and is VASTLY
more difficult. Not least because they keep making mistakes, no
matter how careful they are.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.