Old 24-05-2013, 03:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Martin Brown Martin Brown is offline

Default Container gardening

On 24/05/2013 15:26, Derek Turner wrote:
On Thu, 23 May 2013 10:01:25 +0100, Martin Brown wrote:

I expect jacaranda is a bridge too far

After a bit of research, I suspect that it may not be: two nurseries in
Cornwall supply them. What I don't know is whether it's really a
container specimen. One site googled said (of container-grown) up to two
metres at which size it MAY get SOME flowers (emphasis mine). So I'm
wondering whether it's worth the effort?

Probably not. I have grown it from seed a couple of times but it has
always died in a miserable winter before reaching flowering size. North
Yorks is probably not the best location even in a heated greenhouse.

I have had the same problem with proteas from seed. Bottle brushes are
easier but again they peg it up here if you don't protect from frost.

Ginko biloba is fun to grow as an unusual specimen plant hardy (and
relatively easy from seed). It is close to being a deciduous conifer.
Very ancient and unusual leaf shape and nice autumn colour.

If you have a female and it sets fruit in a decade or two you might
regret it but they are very handsome and unusual hardy trees. Mine is in
a big patio pot and about 4' tall and a neighbours I gave him is planted
in the ground and twice that size after a couple of decades.

Fatsia japonica is quite handsome in a big glossy leaves brutal sort of
way but not sure if it won't break out of a pot.

Plenty of acers to choose from if it isn't too windy.

One thought is pick some styles of leaf shape, colour and flower and
then gradually collect plants that match your goal.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown