Old 25-05-2013, 11:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider[_3_] Spider[_3_] is offline

Default Strimming grass, two questions

On 23/05/2013 14:45, zaax wrote:
On Tuesday, May 21, 2013 12:06:33 PM UTC+1, Mentalguy2k8 wrote:
Helping a housebound relative with a bit of a neglected garden. Firstly, is it advisable to strim grass on a lawn/edging/borders while it's wet? It's been raining on and off and it's damp. Secondly, what's the tactic for badly overgrown grass/weeds? On average it's about 6 inches high but higher in places. I was thinking of taking it all down a few inches, then giving it a couple of days to get upright again, then taking it down to a sensible level. Any point to this, or should I just go at it and do it in one hit?

6" is not much, use a normal petrol mower. The drier the better of course.

To add to that and answer your second question; there is no reason why
you shouldn't mow twice, even with a thorough first cut. Longish, damp
grass often has pockets of flattened turf which will spring up as the
grass dries out and the air gets to it.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London