Old 25-05-2013, 05:49 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default planting stick

The Cook wrote:
I love your idea.

anything that saves bending over to
some degree helps. i like to try to
improve with low tech methods as much
as i can.

last year i planted a great number of
rows by sitting on the ground and using
a hand trowel. very slow work. then
towards the end of the planting i said to
myself that this was really silly so i
stood up, grabbed the pointed hoe and
did my seed drills with that. then i
walked along and dropped the seeds about
at the right spacing. the problem with
that method is that the wind is rarely
calm here enough to get a straight drop
so i had to lead the wind. meaning some
fiddling with the seeds that missed getting
them nudged into place. still speeded up
the planting by quite a bit. this year
i hope to get it all done in a week
instead of three weeks.

the pvc tube came along as it was fallen
on the side of the road from someone hauling
stuff. i hate leaving trash along the road
so picked it up. this spring i was pondering
how to beat the wind drift without getting
too complicated and so i trimmed the broken
bits off and it worked well enough to make
me want a nicer wooden alternative.

i think in the back of my mind was the
example of the pelletized seeds and the
air hoses to move them around for mass
planting in greenhouse operations.

Will keep it in mind when I get ready to plant
beans in the garden. I have a couple of 2"w x 1/2"d x 8' long sticks
that I have marked on one side in 3" increments and the other side in
4" increments.. They certainly help getting a reasonable straight
line and equal spacing. Add in the tubing it would be pretty easy.

hope it helps.

songbird