Old 25-05-2013, 05:58 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default planting stick

Derald wrote:
songbird wrote:

now i'm looking into getting a longer one
as the one i'm using now is only a few feet
long. one four feet long would be nice as
then i could plant rows i can't reach into
as easily, plus not as much bending.

I have two that I use frequently. One is an arbitrary length of
small diameter (3/8", I think) PVC tubing with a small funnel jammed
into one end; the other is one of those long skinny funnels intended for
filling automobile transmissions, etc.

sure helps!

I have bamboo on hand (want
some?) but it never occured to me to use it as you describe. I suppose
that one could split it down its length and and remove the nodal walls.

i have a bamboo flute that hollowed out one
of the nodes to get the right length. very
nice sound.

haven't worked with bamboo when it is green
ever so can't say how easy splitting would be.
to hollow out with a super long drill bit
would likely be a challenge, but possible as
the bit could at least self center using the
width of the shaft to guide the point. just
would need different long bits based upon size
of bamboo tube itself.

Presently, the bamboo serves as stakes, dripline anchors, vertical wire
trellis anchors, and as dragonfly perches. Oh, and individual nodes
bundled together make marvelous "nests" for native solitary bees and
wasps and, used singly, are perfect "steamboats", of which we have God
knows how many tucked into tree limb apices around the domain.

what is a steamboat? i've not heard this expression
before as applied to bamboo or anything to do with
gardening. just the usual river/lake chuffing along
kind...

bamboo is very useful, but around here the types
that grow don't get big and are pests. some of my
recent readings in the permaculture books puts
plantings of them on islands in ponds to keep them
from spreading.

glad to see you got out from under the truck.
hope things are well for you down there?

songbird