Old 25-05-2013, 04:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Heavy Gardening Gloves

wrote:
In article ,
Martin wrote:

If you can find somebody with no vestibular (semi-circular
canal) function, who can walk about without falling over using only
his sense of touch I will be a little surprised.

Then prepare to be surprised. I am just one such - but, then, I
am lucky because I have had a lifetime to adapt.

I can even ride a bicycle and ski, but I need a very stable one
of the former, and it took me 150 hours to learn the latter where
people with normal abilities take 30.

I have had recurring vestibular (semi-circularcanal) function
problems. I couldn't stay standing up without leaning against
something or holding on to something. You must be almost unique.

That is normal - I may be a bit unusual, but I am by no means
unique. There are a fair number of people around who have had
none since birth and you won't notice - many of those will be
profoundly deaf, too, of course. I have heard about someone who
lost his vestibular function in old age (20s) and adapted as well
as I have - now that IS rare!

My father had severe otosclerosis at 14 eventually followed
by a botched operation that permanently deafened him in one ear.
He had significantly diminished vestibular function, and relied
on sight and proprioception when skiing. That was less than
optimal when the clouds were heavy.

I almost certainly lost the function after I had learned to walk
and while still very young, so I could still develop new neural
pathways (both for balance and hearing), which is why I am lucky.
But using both all day is very, very (physically) tiring - I can
carry a 50 lb pack all day over Scottish hills and be less tired
than after a day of interacting with people.

Listening requires a lot of concentration if you are deaf