Old 26-05-2013, 07:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Michael Bell Michael Bell is offline

Default Taking cutting of alder

In message
"Christina Websell"
wrote:

"Michael Bell" wrote in message
. uk...
Following advice on the ng, stuck twigs of alder into the ground in
the hope that they would sprout. They haven't, well, not yet.

Following advice of this ng, I bought a "Hydropod Propagator" from
Greenhouse Sensation. The cuttings grew, and then died. They never
produced any roots. But this device seems to be aimed at green stems
rather than hardwood cuttings.

So what should I try now? The buds now have 2 -3 leaves, not fully
open. A "Mist propagator such as I knew in my youth seems to be what's
wanted; an electrically heated bed of compost and sand, with a spray
controlled by an "electronic leaf" seems to be what's wanted. Any
recommendations? And what about lighting levels and other those
details which seem to be too small mention, but which make all the
difference?

Michael Bell

--

Although I know it is your hope and dream to get alders with big seed to
make food from, maybe it's now time to say, maybe, that it's not possible.

I know what you are saying, but setting that aside, there really ought
to be a way of taking cutttings from trees of any kind and that is the
question I asked.

Michael Bell